I'd have thought you'd have found an answer from me in the archives (or
perhaps in the openssl archives).

Yes, you can use wildcard certificates. It is possible to use them on the
same IP address and port and it works (this is from memory of what those who
use this method have written).

However:

1. CAs have got wise to wildcard certificates and charge a couple of limbs
for the privilege of using them.
2. There's no guarantee that IE will support it and Microsoft may well break
support for it again.

If you are doing this on a "private" network, probably neither of the above
will affect you.

-
John Airey, BSc (Jt Hons), CNA, RHCE
Internet systems support officer, ITCSD, Royal National Institute of the
Blind,
Bakewell Road, Peterborough PE2 6XU,
Tel.: +44 (0) 1733 375299 Fax: +44 (0) 1733 370848 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The trouble with postmodernism isn't just that no-one actually believes in
it, but no-one can believe in it.

-

confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the
intended recipient you are hereby notified that you must not use,
disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this email's content. If
immediately and then delete the email and any attachments from your
system.

RNIB has made strenuous efforts to ensure that emails and any
attachments generated by its staff are free from viruses. However, it
cannot accept any responsibility for any viruses which are
transmitted. We therefore recommend you scan all attachments.

represent those of RNIB.

RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227

Website: http://www.rnib.org.uk