On 5/30/06, Frank van Beek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I checked a couple of pages on VirtualHosts in the Apache documentation.
As far as I can see in the examples in most of them there a
NameVirtualHost for every VirtualHost, even when it's running on a
different port.

See the examples here:

   http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/vhosts/examples.html

All of the examples on that page that use NameVirtualHost are actually *doing* name-based virtual hosting, which is where you have multiple virtual hosts with the same IP/port combination (thus the only thing that distinguishes them is their name, as given in the Host: HTTP header).

You're doing IP-based virtual hosting, not named-based virtual hosting.  (You only have one virtual host per IP/port combination.)  Thus you don't need NameVirtualHost.  If you scroll down in the page you gave, you'll see an example of IP-based virtual hosting, and note that it does *not* include any NameVirtualHost directives.

Hope this helps,
--Cliff