Joe Orton wrote:
On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 04:46:48PM +0200, Michael Ströder wrote:
Hmm, the user ID is already stored by mod_ssl with attribute name "UID" in env var SSL_CLIENT_S_DN. Given that it's OpenSSL 0.9.8 and that the attribute type seems to be interpreted as UID is it safe to assume that the cert contains the right OID?

No, unfortunately there is disparity between mod_ssl and OpenSSL here. (I don't know why; I think historically the short name mappings were not unique in OpenSSL possibly, something like that)

Hmmpf! So the string representation of SSL_CLIENT_S_DN is completely generated by OpenSSL whereas the single attribute types are generated by mod_ssl by looking at the cert's OID?

If NID_x500UniqueIdentifier maps to OID 2.5.4.45 it's plain wrong anyway...

It does indeed map to that OID... wrong in what sense?

Because the syntax assigned to attribute type 'x500UniqueIdentifier' (OID 2.5.4.45) is 'Bit String' (OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.6) which cannot be used to store a user ID with characters like 'ABCDEF'.

http://www.alvestrand.no/objectid/2.5.4.45.html

Ciao, Michael.