Stephen Zander <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>     Sam> Hi all, How do you return the name of perl in your module's
>     Sam> Makefile.PL?
> If you're generating rules for the Makfile that will be produced,
> don't try to hardcode perl at all.  Rather use the PERL Makefile
> variable that MakeMaker has already gone to great pains to get right
> for you.

OK, I've tried this - the following code is an example of how to get
MakeMaker's variables in a Makefile.PL:

<<<<<<<<
use ExtUtils::MakeMaker;

# If this function is not called manually on older versions of
# ExtUtils::MakeMaker, it goes tits up.
ExtUtils::MakeMaker::full_setup();

my $mm = MM->new({
    'NAME'              => 'Pod::Constants',
});

open TEMPFILE, "t/tempfile" or die $!;
print TEMPFILE, $mm->{FULLPERL},"\n";
close TEMPFILE;

$mm->flush();
<<<<<<<<

In the test script, you have to open "t/tempfile" to get the contents.

It's a hack, but it works.  Tested with 5.00503 and 5.6.1.

I fall back to the $Config{perlpath} and $^X variables in the event of a
failure with this method.

There should be an easier way.

Cheers,
--
   Sam Vilain, [EMAIL PROTECTED]     WWW: http://sam.vilain.net/
    7D74 2A09 B2D3 C30F F78E      GPG: http://sam.vilain.net/sam.asc

Hi, I'm a .signature virus!  Copy me into your ~/.signature, please!