On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 04:51:15AM -0400, Christopher Hicks wrote:
> Sorry for beating the dead horse a little more, but here goes...
>
> On Tue, 5 Aug 2003, Nicholas Clark wrote:
> > But *do not* send out an "all's well" message, which will get filtered
> > with the spam to /dev/null, because crying wolf like this will cause
> > people to miss subsequent real, serious, messages.
>
> Sheesh.  It's not crying wolf.  It's saying "here's the status of your
> stuff".  When you get a monthly statement from your bank they're not
> crying wolf.  They're keeping you up to date.  My accountant is hopefully
> more on top of things than the bank so the only purpose in the statement
> is to make sure the bank hasn't screwed up, but I don't accuse them of
> crying wolf because they want to keep me appraised of things.

Have you heard?  Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead.  See
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generalissimo_Francisco_Franco_is_still_dead
for the latest news.

Periodic e-mail messages don't do anything to stop bit rot on the CPAN.
They just let us shave it off and sweep it under the carpet.  That seems
counterproductive, especially since the correlation between having an
inbox and maintaining a distribution isn't proven.

On the other hand, the CPAN testers help authors maintain good code, and
they help consumers find good modules.  They do the former by sending
failure notices to authors when new uploads are broken.  They do the
latter by providing reports that consumers can use to evaluate
distributions.

They don't prevent bit rot in stuff already on the CPAN, however.  I
think they could, but it would require them to retest dependent modules
whenever a dependency passed its tests.  The failure notices would alert
authors that their distributions are succumbing to bit rot.
Theoretically, they would care about their code and update it in
relatively short order.

Likewise it might be useful to send an automated message to the
dependency's author: Your upload, FooBar-12.99, has caused new test
failures in the following distribution(s): ....

Deadbeats wouldn't bother, and they'd receive correspondingly more
notifications.  "Goofus doesn't update his CPAN distributions and gets a
lot of e-mail about his broken code.  Gallant keeps his code up to date,
and lives in relatively unaccosted bliss."

Which brings us back to e-mail validation.  Since the testers are
sending out all these notices, perhaps they could monitor and report on
bounces.  Other systems, like PAUSE, could use the information to prompt
authors to fix their e-mail addresses when they log in.

--
Rocco Caputo - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://poe.perl.org/