I wish to also point out that no Perl book replaces a solid grounding in computer science. Tail-end recursion removal is certainly a technique covered in the CS literature quite extensively. Any undergraduate book on algorithms covers it. Sophisticated techniques and new approaches may well be in journal articles; I personally haven't done a search of the ACM and IEEE CS literature for this topic. If pushed I can pull down 3 different textbooks on the subject of algorithms and see what they have to say. Remember, MJD and Damian mostly don't invent new techniques. Rather, they adapt them to the particular strengths of Perl.