For that reason too I prefer to use only modules that come
with my operating system.

Of course it has very limited number of CPAN modules
( http://www.szabgab.com/distributions/ ) and even those can be
out of date to my purposes so in many cases I install them from CPAN.

For that one might consider setting up a separate account on the system
and setting

PERL5LIB=/home/perl/perl5lib/lib

in the environment and

makepl_arg         [PREFIX=/home/perl/perl5lib LIB=/home/perl/perl5lib/lib]
mbuildpl_arg       [--install_base /home/perl/perl5lib --install_path
lib=/home/perl/perl5lib/lib]

in CPAN::MyConfig.pm

This will reduce the install time issues to that account - annoying but limited.

In addition one might consider installing modules only after a reasonable
time (M days) they are on CPAN and/or after having N successful test
reports on http://cpantesters.perl.org/

These precautions might help reduce the security issues.

Of course this still falls short of actually reading the code AND
understanding it :-)

Anyway this thread just gave me another reason to push my ideal of having more
modules distributed by the various OS-es and other Perl distributions.
http://search.cpan.org/dist/CPAN-Porters

Gabor

--
Gabor Szabo