# from Johan Vromans
# on Wednesday 09 July 2008 08:09:

>Now more and more development is migrating towards VCS that do not
>have such a feature (git, svn, hg, ...).
>
>What are the alternatives?

Just use the integer time()?

>Manually updating the version numbers of changed modules before a
>release does not sound appealing to me.

Use the `perl-reversion` tool?  Is that too manual?

The build tool should probably do this for you, but does it bump the
version numbers just before rolling the release or several commits
before?  Right after a release?  When does it commit and tag?  What
about the Changes file?

I've been thinking "immediately after a release" is the time to bump the
version -- but what about when you decide that it is a major version
bump?  That seems like it would almost always be a 'manual' decision.

Of course, if you're using the $Revision$, that doesn't have
a 'major/minor' number on svn, so it is basically just a slow-moving
version of time(), right?

--Eric
--
We who cut mere stones must always be envisioning cathedrals.
--Quarry worker's creed