Well foo. I see it now.

RTFM is always pretty good advice, eh? :}

Roger

-----Original Message-----
From: Roger Hall [mailto:raha...@ualr.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 10:05 AM
To: module-authors@perl.org
Subject: Perl Critic and (honest) hash references

All,

I'm a fan of Class::Std and Dr. Conway's efforts, but I'm bemused by a
failing perlcritic test on a new module. I used a hash reference to hold
several values to make it easier to dump with YAML, so my code is peppered
with code like this:

$config->{query}

Perlcritic complains that "Private Member Data shouldn't be accessed
directly" because "Accessing an objects data directly breaks encapsulation
and should be avoided". I get that. Only problem: it's not an object. It's
just a hashref.

Do I have to redesign the module to get past this syntatical doppelganger?
Should I just rip the perlcritic test out of my distribution? Any advice
appreciated!

Thanks!

Roger Hall

Technical Director