On Fri, Apr 02, 2010 at 04:49:44PM +0200, Aristotle Pagaltzis wrote:
> * Tim Bunce <tim.bu...@pobox.com> [2010-04-02 15:55]:
> > So, for a cpan-git-mirror to update itself it only needs to do:
> >
> >     cd cpan-all && git pull && git submodule update
> >
> > The git pull of cpan-all repro would be very fast as it's tiny.
>
> With 15,000(?) distributions = submodules = directories, it’s not
> *that* tiny.
>
> You don’t want to stuff those all in the top-level directory.

Naturally. The cpan-all repro would be focussed on distributions not
authors, so I figured a structure (for Foo-Bar and Foo-Bar-Baz distros)
something like:

    /Foo
        /Bar
            /Foo-Bar.distro/...
            /Baz
                /Foo-Bar-Baz.distro/...

(Let's not bikeshed that at the moment - the key point is that a
hierarchy is needed and that it be focussed on distros.)

> [...] you still get comparatively much churn for some still
> rather big directories, because any change to a subdirectory
> causes the entire chain of objects representing the directory
> levels above it to also change. I don’t know if that churn is
> bad enough to require a different solution.

I doubt it, but we won't know unless someone tries it :)

> > Hopefully someone with more git foo than me can sanity check
> > it. Assuming I'm not talking nonsense, I think this has great
> > potential.
>
> It would take some trickery and thought to do well, but it’s not
> obviously broken as designed.

Great.

Tim.