On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 2:40 AM, theMage [Marco Neves]
<perl-c...@knowhunter.cjb.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>        In need for a way to transfer a large amount of small datastructures I
> created a module that stores and retrieves a stream of storables in a file.
>
>        I created it in a "private" Namespace using in the company I worked for
> but, with they permission, and because I think this may be useful for someone
> else, I want to publish it on cpan.
>
>        I'm finishing documentation and tests, before uploading it to CPAN,
> but I
> don't know exactly which namespace to use. For me, the obvious namespace would
> be Storable::Stream (and eventually Storable::Stream::GZip), but as Storable
> is part of core, I think we are not expected to publish modules in that
> namespace.
>
>        So, which name should I use for this small module?

The namespace ought to be just fine. The package "Storable" is owned
by core but "Storable::Stream" isn't. FWIW though, I am provoked by SO
MUCH PAIN transferring Storable objects between processes and servers
that I feel like I must warn you against ever actually using Storable
in IPC.

I've had so many problems when one of either client or server for
Storable-trading IPC wanted to change. Have you tried upgrading or
downgrading either side of the transaction to a new, potentially
incompatible version of Storable yet? I'd feel much better suggesting
you consider streaming with YAML or JSON or something hand-rolled but
anything but Storable. Consider that maybe your next client will want
to be implemented in Ruby but now won't be able to read the data.

BTW, where's your repo? github? I'd like to take a gander.

Josh