On Nov 24, 2010, at 9:54 AM, Sébastien Aperghis-Tramoni wrote:

> Gabor Szabo wrote:
>
>> The other day I was at a client that uses Perl in part of their system and we
>> talked a bit about the language and how we try to promote it at various
>> events.
>>
>> Their "Perl person" then told me he would not use Perl now for a large
>> application because:
>>
>> 1) Threads do not work well - they are better in Python and in Java.
>
> When in need to execute things in parallels, I use fork() or POE.

I love the fork module. It's great how it's a drop in replacement for the
threads module. It allows me to easily swap over to threads when I move code
over to a machine that can use threads.

I very much wish, however, that forks could get a return variable from the fork
process like threads can. This has always frustrated me.

To be honest, though, the fact that Linux forks are copy on write, takes much
of the value out of threads as far as I'm concerned.