I think Perl 6 may be the death of Perl.  It's already at least five years
too late to make any real impact as a new version of Perl.  Maybe if it is
given a different name and not presented as being a new version of Perl, but
instead a whole new language that is an outgrowth of the Perl community (the
way Ruby is) then it might have a shot.

But really, it boils down to marketing.  Perl has no marketing behind it,
and in fact most of the people in the Perl community seem to view marketing
as beneath them.

--
Check out my LEGO blog at http://www.brickpile.com/
View my photos at http://flickr.com/photos/billward/