On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 12:33:54PM -0700, Eric Wilhelm wrote:

> I didn't think it was a question of CPU speed anytime in the past
> decade.

It is on small mobile clients, and the notwork latency it adds is also
noticeable.  And on the server side, when you're running on old donated
equipment, or cheap donated equipment, or a "cloud" thing that charges
per CPU cycle, then pointless use of SSL is kinda silly.

Even sillier than pointless use of SSL when none of the above applies.

Sure, use SSL for authentication like what my bank does.  Use it for
your webmail when using chavternet in a crappy "cafe" which doesn't even
serve delicious cake.  But don't just use it all the time, and
especially don't create a service that *only* uses it, unless you *have*
to use it.

Hail Caesar!  Those about to vi ^[ you!