On 2013-01-08, at 1:03 PM, David Nicol wrote:

> > Recently I checked and only 50% of the CPAN distributions have a link
> > to a public version control system:
> > http://blogs.perl.org/users/gabor_szabo/2013/01/50-of-the-new-cpan-uploads-lack-a-repository-link.html
>
> uh, CPAN /is/ a public version control system. You have a favorite VCS and
> want to make diffs easily? Download, unpack, init, add, commit, work, diff.

That doesn't sound easy at all.  ;)  For example, if you want to send a simple
doc patch to an author who has the source code on Github, you can either jump
through the hoops you're describing or

a) fork the project on Github
b) edit the file in place on Github
c) click the pull request button

That strikes *me* as much easier and you get built in request tracking.
Granted, not everyone uses Github, but it's a very minimal workflow.  What
Gabor is saying is that *if* your dist is actually available via
Github/Bitbucket etc, you should let people know so that they can help you out.
 If you do include this in your Meta files, MetaCPAN will add a handy link
right to your repo, which makes the process even easier.  So, it helps people
be even lazier about contributing, which is a good thing.  If it doesn't
scratch everyone's itches, that's OK too. At least, if you include your repo
url, you're not making me search Github to see if your repo already exists
there.

> On the other hand, a comprehensive "CPAN by git" as an additional CPAN
> feature would have a measure of awesome to it, as an alternate distribution
> and synchronization method.

Well, there is GitPAN, but it needs a lot of love https://github.com/gitpan

Olaf

--
Olaf Alders
o...@wundersolutions.com

http://www.wundersolutions.com
http://twitter.com/wundercounter

866 503 2204 (Toll free - North America)
416 944 8306 (direct)