On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 12:14 PM, Olaf Alders <o...@wundersolutions.com>wrote:

> > uh, CPAN /is/ a public version control system. You have a favorite VCS
> and want to make diffs easily? Download, unpack, init, add, commit, work,
> diff.
>
> That doesn't sound easy at all.  ;)  For example, if you want to send a
> simple doc patch to an author who has the source code on Github, you can
> either jump through the hoops you're describing or
>
> a) fork the project on Github
> b) edit the file in place on Github
> c) click the pull request button
>
> That strikes *me* as much easier and you get built in request tracking.

actually, for a small patch without an explicit VCS framework, the
antediluvian workflow of unpacking twice, editing once, and using diff -U
to make the patch is a little simpler. Of  course you can't do that in a
web browser that I know of. At some point I switched to mercurial for such
one-offs, and as I'm still more comfortable with command line editing tools
than editing in place on Github, my workflow for editing something that's
on github still consists of checking it all out, editing it, then pushing
it back. I should look into editing in place with Github's web browser
editor.