Hi John,

* John M Gamble <jgam...@ripco.com> [2015-10-06 20:25]:
> What with META.json being generated (and presumably used) in our CPAN
> uploads, is it necessary to include META.yml anymore? A brief search
> didn't really tell me anything.
>
> If it makes a difference, the minimum version of Perl that I require
> for my modules is currently 5.10.1.

if I’m looking at this right, Perl 5.13.10 is the earliest Perl version
where the toolchain supports META.json out of the box.

Specifically, 5.13.9 was the first perl to ship JSON::PP in core, but
its CPAN.pm and Parse::CPAN::Meta lack META.json support. They were
added in Parse::CPAN::Meta 1.41_01 and CPAN.pm 1.94_65, both of which
were included in 5.13.10 (or rather, Parse::CPAN::Meta was upgraded to
1.44).

In practice that means Perl 5.14.0 is the first Perl that can install
dists with a JSON-only META out of the box.