Hi Jerry,

* Jerry D. Hedden <jdhed...@cpan.org> [2016-03-29 05:25]:
> Is there preferred organization, account, methodology for doing this?

not really.

> I would think there is a better way than just putting them under my
> own GitHub account,

The current situation is the same as with all other parts of the Perl
ecosystem: whatever worked for whoever showed up to do the work. With
the vast majority of CPAN modules that live on GitHub, that means they
live under their maintainer’s personal account.

Some CPAN authors have set up personal GitHub Organisations to put their
modules into so they can hand out admin access.

You can hand out commit bits to repos in your personal account to other
GitHub users, mind.

AFAIUI the diffference with a GitHub Org is that you can also hand out
administrative access to its repos (and the org itself) at the GitHub
level.

That’s why the Perl Toolchain Gang org exists, as mentioned by BooK.

> particularly as this would complicate matters if the time should come
> when someone else would need to take over their maintenance.

The history of the project can be grabbed by anyone, that is the whole
point of using a DVCS after all.

The only real issue is bug tracking, because it is usually centralised.

If you use GitHub Issues to manage tickets, then the bug tracker cannot
be taken over by a new maintainer without action on your part. (You can
move the repository from your account to another, which will carry over
its issues (and wiki content, if you use that). That will require your
active participation.)

If you use RT.cpan, the PAUSE admins can reassign permissions, so that
takeovers can happen without your involvement. You can turn off GitHub
Issues in a repository if you wish issues to be reported otherwise. But
note that you cannot turn off pull requests at the time of this writing.

So in practice modules maintained under a personal account are not that
problematic. The only serious problem is in case the maintainer got run
over by a bus and nobody else can log into their GitHub account.