Shlomi Fish:

> What will make my life more tolerable would be a browser add-on
> that will allow me to keep the rt.cpan.org password (and only
> that) unencrypted (as I already have it in "~/.pause" anyway).

Have you tried to pin the firefox tab once you've logged into
rt.cpan.org? It did work for me: just right click on the tab
and then on Pin:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/pinned-tabs-keep-favorite-websites-open

Actually, if I leave the rt.cpan.org window open and quit firefox
(I have it configured to open all my previous tabs) the session
cookie still works when I start firefox again. However, if I close
the tab before restarting, it asks the login password again. So
session cookies seem to persist after restarting if you tell
firefox to remember the current tabs.

Other possible options you have are using one of the several
cookie addons available for firefox to modify the session cookie
and make it persistent, or something like lastpass addon to
remember the passwords that you don't want to store in firefox.

Hope this helps,
Alex