> Giving the IDs unique names worked.  Do I really need to remove them
> altogether?

An element that isn't ever going to be targeted in a #id reference
(which could be in code as well, of course) doesn't need an `id`
attribute.

In other words, in

    <a id="myid1" href="#someotherid">

the `id`is optional... unless there's also a link

    <a id="myotherid" href="#myid1">

or

    document.id('myotherid')

somewhere else.

> I tried moving
>     window.addEvent( 'load', function() {
>      ScrollLinks.start()
>     });
> to the very bottom of my page, but the smooth scrolling no longer worked.

You still haven't given the error that is generated. There must be one
in the console.

> When I changed onLoad= to onload= in the body tag, it no longer threw an
> error.
> The site passed W3Schools verification.

W3Schools is absolutely wrong (as is not uncommon, as they have no
technical credentials).

The authoritative markup validation service is validator.w3.org.
There, you will see that BODY OnLoAd="..." is valid HTML4 or HTML5.

-- S.

--

---