From: David Kusumoto <davidmkusum...@hotmail.com>
To: MoPo-L <MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU>
Sent: Mon, Jun 22, 2015 4:07 pm
Subject: [MOPO] My history of bad luck chasing an original "Third Man (1949)."

        * After reading mostly dealer posts for five straight days, here are my
observations for consumers.  Unless indicated, the following are OPINIONS, not
facts.  They shed no additional information other than to provide my own
history - then vs. now - about this title.  (Again, it's too bad Bruce
Hershenson quit MOPO - as his views would have been invaluable as NO ONE has
handled more movie paper - nor owns a titanic collection of press books from
around the world than he.)

1.  My "opinion" is Bidll's "The Third Man" is an international one-sheet of
"some kind" - that was never intended for display in the U.K.  Anything else is
possible, but that's where I fall if I were interested in buying it.
Parenthetically, among the many points and markers debated as to first issue or
re-issue and international vs domestic, I find it intriguing that the seller -
who strikes me as being very conscientious - resides in New Zealand yet has
little provenance information about how and where this apparently rolled poster
was acquired as well as other details such as texture, etc.  This may not be
"empirically" relevant to this poster compared to printed markers, but in my
view, its geographic location and "how it feels" is circumstantially relevant
to the debate of national vs. international, original or re-issue.

2.  As some know, I used to collect only COUNTRY-OF-ORIGIN DOMESTIC ISSUE
posters, a common practice among collectors of country-of-origin first edition
books.  A country of origin "The Third Man" poster was once at the top of my
list of wants.

3.  Today, if I stuck to my old narrow (minded) preferences, I'd only buy a
first issue BQ of "Third Man." While I love VINTAGE international one-sheets or
daybills - for "The Third Man," I won't.  To put it bluntly, I was burned by a
major auction house (Heritage) - by its mis-representation of this title way
back in 2003.  Heritage's actions were NOT intentional - and to be fair - I was
frankly ignorant about what Helmut rightly says about the general "rule" - but
NOT the "law" - that British one-sheets were predominantly targeted for
international markets.  And for some hare-brained reason (at the time) - I
thought the U.K. one-sheet format was "common" enough to be displayed
sporadically domestically, though not favored compared to the more popular quad.

        * On 20 November 2003, I bought a British RE-ISSUE one-sheet from
Heritage to "The Third Man" for $1725 - that Heritage mis-represented as a 1949
first U.K. issue.          The original 2003 description has not changed hence
you can still see its mistake at the link below.  Note how there is no
information about it being a "reissue" of any kind; Heritage simply declares it
as "original" and labels its date to 1949:

        http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=808&lotNo=1119

        Image 1 of 5 (Heritage, November 2003, $1725):

        * I did NOT learn until one year later that Heritage misrepresented the
poster I bought for $1725 as a 1949 "original" when it was in fact a 1950s
re-issue.          Sure, I could have raised hell but did not,         out of
deference to my friendship with Grey - but just as important - I did not
because of the intimidating legal wording in Heritage's terms and conditions
about its responsibility for errors - which implied no returns accepted - or -
at the very least, an unwritten "statute of limitations" to resolve disputes.

        * One year later, in November 2004 -         Heritage sold ANOTHER
1950s re-issue - but this time, it correctly identified it as a re-issue, and
it fetched for $1150.  This was the date of my discovery - that what I bought
the year before - had been misrepresented by Heritage.  Frankly, "Buyer Beware"
didn't enter my mind in 2003 with Heritage, even though it was new to the movie
poster auction scene.

http://movieposters.ha.com/itm/film-noir/the-third-man-british-lion-film-1949-/a/607-19401.s

        Image 2 of 5 (Heritage, November 2004, $1150):

        * I grumbled but didn't want to cause a scene because I like Grey.
    I kept the re-issue poster I bought in November 2003 for four years.

        * By March 2006, Heritage "apparently" got it right.  I say
"apparently" because in recent days, there have been legitimate questions in
the debate about originals vs. re-issues in recent days on MoPo.          The
example below was represented as a genuine U.K. 1949 original and it sold for
$5750:

        http://movieposters.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=633&lotNo=28253

        Image 3 of 5 (Heritage, March 2006, $5750):

        * In 2007, after I decided to leave hard core poster collecting, I
consigned my bogus $1725 "original" The Third Man poster that I bought from
Heritage in November 2003 -         seen in image 1 of 5 above - with a batch
of posters to eMoviePoster on 11 December 2007 - properly identifying "The
Third Man" poster I bought in 2003 as a re-issue.  (See eMoviePoster's image of
my Heritage poster below - the colors display more accurately - but this is the
EXACT poster I bought in image 1 of 5 above, as noted by a one-of-a-kind
collector's defect - a white spot on the top right margin above the "L" in
Selznick.)  Properly identified, this EXACT poster - mis-represented as
"original" in 2003 - but properly identified by eMoviePoster in 2007 - fetched
$362.

        http://www.emovieposter.com/gallery/inc/archive_image.php?id=10744885

        Image 4 of 5 (eMoviePoster, December 2007, $362):

        * Then, to make things humorous - just three months later - Bruce's
December 2007         buyer of my the re-issue poster I got from Heritage in
2003 - flipped it BACK to Heritage        !  On 11 March 2008 - Heritage took
the same $1725 poster it mis-represented as "original" in 2003 - this time
correctly identifying it as a re-issue - and it sold to another buyer for $478.
 See Heritage's image below, noting the same distinctive collector's defect on
the top right margin above the "L" in Selznick.

        http://movieposters.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=693&lotNo=64326

        Image 5 of 5 (Heritage, March 2008, $478):

        * Now, some of you high-roller dealers might argue that the $1725 I
paid back in 2003 for this         mis-represented poster -         is not a
big deal in relation to by net take I accepted after I sold it with proper
identifiers via eMoviePoster for $362 in 2007 - or even had I chosen Heritage
to sell it for $478 three months later in 2008.  But this was not small change
to me.          Some might also say I should have immediately brought this to
Heritage's attention - even 12 months after November 2003.  But the correct
info about what I bought from Heritage was hardly "immediate" and felt unfair
to grouse about.          Heritage does not offer a lifetime guarantee - though
it does offer a reasonable window to correct its own mistakes.

        * However, what follows may underscore the limits of Grey's power back
in 2003 when movie posters were a new division at Heritage - and when one of
the chiefs, Jim Halperin told me in New York that he envisioned posters to be a
fun "niche" and not a profit leader.          NO ONE from Dallas EVER "came
back" to me - neither proactive nor reactive to correct its mistake - nor did
Heritage personally acknowledge what happened to me, despite obviously learning
its own mistake a year later when it listed a second "The Third Man" poster
correctly.  Again, look at Heritage's written description and image of what I
bought for $1725 in November 2003...

        http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=808&lotNo=1119

        ...vs. Heritage's written description and image of what second buyer
bought - armed with a corrected information - for $1150 in November 2004:

http://movieposters.ha.com/itm/film-noir/the-third-man-british-lion-film-1949-/a/607-19401.s

        * People make mistakes and admit them, no foul there.  But what
happened places a high relief on when a firm PROACTIVELY corrects mistakes,
however rare - no matter how much time has passed since they were made.  Years
later, when I told Bruce Hershenson about this in the context of selling my
"re-issue," he noted that he himself had made the same mistake about 15 years
ago, that it wasn't discovered until years later - but that he contacted his
buyer and took about a         $1,000+ loss, refunding the money on the basis
that while people make mistakes, the buyer did nothing wrong and would have
taken a loss for ignorance and might have lost confidence in eMoviePoster as a
future buyer basing his choices on improperly represented goods.

* So I think Jeff P. brings up a salient point, that is, if average consumers
have a say about buying collectibles whose origin is unclear.  Such things
should, in my view, be PROACTIVELY disclosed.  Whether you are a dealer in a
buyer's role or an end user - it IS significant when anyone offers you a
"lifetime guarantee."  But it's only as good as the merchant who offers it,
your trust in that merchant - and your perception of how long that merchant
will be in business to honor it.  Naturally, such guarantees are too risky for
most retailers, accounting for wear and tear and the potential for abuse.  And
indeed, lifetime guarantees feel non-existent in the collectibles "industry."

* Years ago, when I asked Bruce Hershenson about this - he said among the
obvious reasons for offering lifetime guarantees - besides boosting buyer
confidence ENORMOUSLY - is this:  Despite his prominence in collectibles, if
his company makes a mistake, he doesn't have the resources of a Sotheby's or
Christie's or Bonham's or Heritage - to be battered with monthly lawsuits from
disgruntled customers.  A check of Google of claims against the major houses
bears this out.  Thus for him and perhaps for him only - this is a good
business policy to embrace - and feels compatible with a high-volume,
Amazon-like, "customer first" ideology - that goes further in that it is
marketed as having no statute of limitations nor expiration date.  Anything
discovered to be misrepresented, no matter how long after a sale, is
proactively corrected.  If you're a consumer or a dealer buying from him -
whether you disagree with methods or personality or other intangibles, this is
supremely comforting.

* In sum, specific to Bidll's "The Third Man," I'm glad we're all talking about
what it may or may not be - because no lifetime guarantee is being offered for
a high-ticket item.  I'm sorry I can't add anything more to reveal its origin,
hence I wish Bruce would proffer an opinion even though my story illustrates my
troubled history with this title and why I won't buy it unless it's a BQ.  And
while the wisdom of offering lifetime returns for posters is a discussion for
another day, I think the seller has been wise making adjustments accordingly.
Bruce himself uses BLUNT English that works when doubt exists, e.g., he'll
write, "please don't bid unless you're satisfied with our uncertainty about
this poster's origins" - and/or - "please don't bid unless you can live with
our condition grade and all defects as described."  That's more than fair, amid
a guarantee he offers that few can afford offering without tacking on an
expiration date.  And to be fair, I know if I was a dealer, I could never offer
a lifetime guarantee.  Retailers frown but all customers applaud.  More power
to him and to people like him.  -d.