Hi,
it's hard to give clear answers as context is missing. But I will try to give my general opinion on this.

If you had some a priori idea of meaningful shape variation and you were sure this variation is represented by an individual PC axis (and that axis only), it would be sensible to make that computation for that axis. However, in your case - and in most cases where a similar question is posed - this doesn't seem to apply (i.e., from the way you ask the question, it sounds like you want to compute variance for each of the axes separately simply because PCA gives you a set of orthogonal axes). Then - provided that I don't know enough about your system/question/analysis and this is just a general opinion - I would just stick to multivariate measures of variation.

I hope this helps.
Carmelo

--

Carmelo Fruciano