From: mosaic-boun...@literacyworkshop.org
[mailto:mosaic-boun...@literacyworkshop.org] On Behalf Of Robyn Kouw
Sent: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 3:28 AM
To: mosaic@literacyworkshop.org
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] First Steps

Hi everyone,

I see that there has been a lot of discussion about how to effectively
teach the rest of the class while taking a reading or writing focus
group such as guided reading or guided writing.  I am wondering if
anyone has come across the First Steps resources (2nd edition).  They
were written in Australia after many years of research and trial and are
now used internationally.  The resources provide develpmental maps in
reading, writing, speaking and listening; and a multitude of wonderful
assessment tools, teaching strategies and activities aimed at students.
Linked to assessment it makes it easy to target the needs of students
and differentiate teaching to support student learning.  It is not a
curriculum and is not prescriptive, it is purely a proven resource that
can fit alongside any curriculum.

The American site for the resources and Professional Development is:

https://ssl22.chi.us.securedata.net/stepspd.org/merchantmanager/index.ph
p?cPath=2

For anyone committed to teaching to the needs of the students, this is
well worth a look.  I am a huge fan!

Robyn

> From: lesp...@aol.com
> Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 21:20:08 -0400
> To: mosaic@literacyworkshop.org
> Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] Daily Five in Upper Elementary
>
> Angela,
>
> In my school, there is no switching of classes. Each teacher spends
the
> whole literacy block with his class. So could you see Daily Five, with
the
> options as outlined in the book, working on a daily basis with a 4th
grade
> class?
>
> If one child is doing Reading with Partner, then I guess that child's
> partner is doing the Listen to Reading portion. How does that always
work out
> and does it take too much time for kids to arrange?
>
> And BTW, what is EOG and do you substitute that for writing since you
are
> not the one who teaches writing?
>
> Thanks,
> Leslie
>

> In a message dated 4/27/2009 4:39:48 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
> angela_alm...@scs.k12.nc.us writes:
>
> I use Daily Five in my fourth grade class. I don't do it completely as
> the book suggests but I do use all parts of it. This is my first year
> using it and I have found lots of things I am going to change and
tweek
> next year.
>
> We switch classes. I teach Reading and there is another teacher that
> teaches Writing. I teach and we do small group activities for 45
minutes
> and then spend 30 minutes doing Daily Five each day. It actually turns
> into a Weekly Five. Their choices are: Read To Self, Listen To
Reading,
> Read With a Partner, Word Work, and EOG Practice (in the place of the
> writing piece). This EOG Practice choice is my answer to test prep
taking
> up so much class time.
>
> Daily Five is my saving grace! SSR was not working for me and we are
> required to do 30 minutes of SSR each day. Every teacher in my school
> will tell you that SSR is a time when the kids perfect their fake
reading.
> I was so not satisfied with this and decided to implement Daily Five
this
> year. It has helped so much! Now those resistant readers who had
> mastered the fake reading have other options. So for 30 minutes every
> day, every single one of my students is engaged in a reading activity
> while I have time to do conferences, running records, or
interventions.

> mosaic@literacyworkshop.org writes:
> >Has anyone used Daily Five in upper elementary or middle school.
Middle

(http://toolbar.aol.com/aolradio/download.html?ncid=emlcntusdown00000003
)