From: mosaic-boun...@literacyworkshop.org
[mailto:mosaic-boun...@literacyworkshop.org] On Behalf Of Robyn Kouw
Sent: Thursday, April 30, 2009 3:12 AM
To: mosaic@literacyworkshop.org
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] First Steps

Yes, they do Tamara and also in PE and now thinking.

The Literacy books are the only ones that I have really used and trained
in.  The others came out after I became a Literacy Coordinator, so I
have never had a real opportunity to use them.  I can definitely vouch
for the Literacy set, and have had training with two of the authors.
They are fantastic, and well founded in theory as well as classroom
based research.

Robyn

[kou...@hotmail.com]
> Sent: Thursday, April 30, 2009 6:09 AM
> To: mosaic@literacyworkshop.org
> Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] First Steps
>
> Hi Lynnette,
>

> First Steps produce the following books at elementary level:
>
> Writing Map of Development second edition
>
> Writing Resource Book second edition
>
> Reading Map of Development second edition
>
> Reading Resource Book second edition
>
> Speaking and Listening Map of Development second edition
>
> Speaking and Listening Resource Book second edition
>
> Viewing Map of Development second edition
>
> Viewing Resource Book second edition
>
> and a book that fits with all of these called: Linking Assessment
Teaching and Learning

https://ssl22.chi.us.securedata.net/stepspd.org/merchantmanager/index.ph
> > p?cPath=2
> >

> > For anyone committed to teaching to the needs of the students, this
is
> > well worth a look. I am a huge fan!
> >

> > Robyn
> >

> > > From: lesp...@aol.com
> > > Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 21:20:08 -0400
> > > To: mosaic@literacyworkshop.org
> > > Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] Daily Five in Upper Elementary
> > >
> > > Angela,
> > >
> > > In my school, there is no switching of classes. Each teacher
spends
> > the
> > > whole literacy block with his class. So could you see Daily Five,
with
> > the
> > > options as outlined in the book, working on a daily basis with a
4th
> > grade
> > > class?
> > >
> > > If one child is doing Reading with Partner, then I guess that
child's
> > > partner is doing the Listen to Reading portion. How does that
always
> > work out
> > > and does it take too much time for kids to arrange?
> > >
> > > And BTW, what is EOG and do you substitute that for writing since
you
> > are
> > > not the one who teaches writing?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Leslie
> > >

> > > In a message dated 4/27/2009 4:39:48 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
> > > angela_alm...@scs.k12.nc.us writes:
> > >
> > > I use Daily Five in my fourth grade class. I don't do it
completely as
> > > the book suggests but I do use all parts of it. This is my first
year
> > > using it and I have found lots of things I am going to change and
> > tweek
> > > next year.
> > >
> > > We switch classes. I teach Reading and there is another teacher
that
> > > teaches Writing. I teach and we do small group activities for 45
> > minutes
> > > and then spend 30 minutes doing Daily Five each day. It actually
turns
> > > into a Weekly Five. Their choices are: Read To Self, Listen To
> > Reading,
> > > Read With a Partner, Word Work, and EOG Practice (in the place of
the
> > > writing piece). This EOG Practice choice is my answer to test prep
> > taking
> > > up so much class time.
> > >
> > > Daily Five is my saving grace! SSR was not working for me and we
are
> > > required to do 30 minutes of SSR each day. Every teacher in my
school
> > > will tell you that SSR is a time when the kids perfect their fake
> > reading.
> > > I was so not satisfied with this and decided to implement Daily
Five

(http://toolbar.aol.com/aolradio/download.html?ncid=emlcntusdown00000003
> > )

> > > Search the MOSAIC archives at http://snipurl.com/MosaicArchive.

> > Search the MOSAIC archives at http://snipurl.com/MosaicArchive.

> > Search the MOSAIC archives at http://snipurl.com/MosaicArchive.

> This email (including attachments) is intended for the addressee(s)
named above. No part of it should be reproduced, adapted or transmitted
without the sender's consent. It is confidential, subject to copyright
and may be subject to legal or other privilege. None of these rights, or
any other rights, are waived if you have received this email in error or
without permission. If you have received this email in error, please let
the sender know by reply email, delete it from your system, destroy all
copies and do not disclose, use or forward this email. Unless explicitly
attributed, the opinions expressed in this message may not represent the
official position or opinions of SCECGS Redlands Limited and should not
be relied upon. Whilst this email has been scanned by a virus scanner
and all care has been taken, recipients should check this email and any
attachments for the presence of viruses. SCECGS Redlands Limited
disclaims all liability for loss or damage caused by viruses transmitted
by this email.