This is a great read that directly addresses this thread.
You can "like" Anthony Cody on Facebook and get his blog in  your email.

Posted this morning at Living in Dialogue
http://blogs.edweek.org/teachers/living-indialogue/2012/06/technocratic_groupthink_inflat.html

Technocratic Groupthink Inflates the Testing Bubble
By Anthony Cody