Er, no. As far as I can observe, --parallel parallelizes some tasks
that are possible into 2 threads, one for e2f, one for f2e. For step
2, giza++, it starts two threads, one for e2f and one for f2e. Then
_that_ is parallelized by mgiza into whatever number of processes I
tell it to (the original idea for mgiza is one process per CPU/CPU
core). I beleive the solution would be not to parallelize step 2 from
train-model.perl but leave it to mgiza if we're training with that.
(Until then the workaround is to halve the number of cpus in the mgiza
parameters I guess.)

I have yet to (and will soon) test the performance differences between
16 processes on a 8-core system versus 8 processes on a 8-core system.
In theory guess the latter should fare somewhat better.

Best regards,
Tamas