Victor Probo wrote:

> Robert Relyea wrote:
>
>> Because the issuer is not part of the subject's identity. If the cert
>

>    If you remember back to your posting of 11/15/01 you pointed out:
>      "You will notice that in fact Baltimore and Verisign do not
>       issue certs with the same DN both CA's add a organization
>       string in the DN which is unique to them. (enforceable in
>       this case under trademark law;)."
>
>   This organizational string makes the two certs *NOT* the same entity;
> doesn't it?

Yes. CA's work very hard to make sure the don't issue certs with the
same DN because their certs are supposed to represent different
identities. (and have semantic differences). The only way you can get in
the position we were describing (same subject, different issuers) is if
1) there was a purposeful attempt to convert an identity from one CA to
another, or 2) someone is trying to build up their own PKI
infrastructure, ingoring the esisting standards.

bob