Usually, when you import a certificate into Mozilla, each certificate
will get assigned a unique "nickname". The cert stored in the internal
database will remember the association from actual cert to nickname.

The configuration in mail remembers the cert nickname.

If you are testing and doing trial and error, I guess you are playing
with your own CA and generating your own certs.

Make sure you don't confuse Mozilla by re-using the same certificate
serial numbers. Mozilla's crypto library NSS uses the pair
{issuer,serial number} to uniquely identify a cert. If you reuse serial
numbers, you pretty much confuse Mozilla.

If you ensure that, Mozilla should be clever enough to remember which
exact certificate you have selected for email configuration and to
automatically switch to a different one.

Kai