Julien Pierre wrote:
[NSS DB access not multi-process safe]
Solving this problem involves using a new database format. The NSS team researched the issue of licensing other database code that didn't suffer from the single-process limitation, but none was found that would satisfy all licensing requirements - NPL/GPL/MPL. The only satisfactory databases we found were commercial. Unfortunately we didn't have the resources to write a brand new database, hence the situation we have today.

I'm surprised this problem has no solution.
Well most database solutions seems to be available only under the GPL, but a special agreement could probably be negotiated.

[...] Nobody seems to have given any thought to this major problem, which basically means you can't share your cert and key databases between Firebird and Thunderbird if they are running at the same time.

But the best solution would probably be a separate process that will handle all the crypto/NSS requests for the running aplications.
It seems clear this is the most workable solution.
If needed, it could be done with a proxy without changing anything in the current interface.

Was not the PSM intended to work that way initially ?