Julien Pierre wrote:
First, let me point out that the RFC only recommends an algorithm to verify certificates and signatures on the current date, but not at dates in the past.

I don't want to strech the whole discussion any longer, but if you are actually interested in that sort of things, then have a look at RFC3126, "Electronic Signature Formats for long term electronic signatures".

This is an informational RFC, but the ETSI TS 101 733 document it's based on is a european standard for long term signatures.
Which requirements have also been included inside the XML XAdES format.
Which explains why european institutions are currently investing in that format.