Julien Pierre wrote:
You can however implement what you want without NSS changes, by wrapping the NSS certificate verification function.

By effectively reimplementing a certificate chain build algorithm.

Your algorithm is simple, because it handles only simple cases, but full implementation of rfc3280, cross-certification, policy constraints, handling cert renewal where the old CA cert is signed by the new cert makes this more complex.

I'd prefer to create a patch for NSS where :
- we can have an optionnal maximal age paramater for revocation information
- we can optionnally store a list of the CA up to the root with the revocation information for each of them.