Daniel Veditz wrote:
<snip>
We've noticed attempts like this recently and are taking steps to address
it. As a first stop-gap, sites are no longer be able to launch installs
during page load (easy to work around, but a quick band-aid to specific
abuses we've seen). This is already in recent nightlies of Firefox and
Mozilla. Second, at the cost of greatly reducing the usefulness of
XPInstall, we're restricting its use to whitelisted sites or else people can
explicitly download the file and then launch it (as they can do with an .exe
install).

Daniel,

This is great news, but if you're going to restrict XPInstall sites to a whitelist, can you make sure there's a UI option for it? Or at least make sure people get a pop-up to let them know what's going on when an XPInstall trigger is blocked?

XPInstall is a great feature, despite its flaws, and I think people should be able to continue using it if they want to.

-- GuruJ.