Actually, this is a "feature".  If LAME detects analog silence,
then it will ignore your minimum bitrate setting for those
frames.  It was added to encode voice like stuff with a large
percentage of silence.

You can disable it by changing all the occurances of
"analog_silence=1" to "analog_silence=0" in quantize.c

Mark