David Balazic ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

> IIRC the "int" type is the fastest on all ( most ) compilers.
> I.E. :
> On 16 bit systems is int16
> On 32 bit systems it is int32
> On 64 bit systems ( alpha ) it is int64 ( unless tweaked to 32 bit for
> bugward compatibility )

Actually, "int" is 32 bits on the Alpha; "long int" is 64 bits.
(At least that's true with the versions of OSF/1 and Digital Unix that
I've worked with.  I haven't worked with Tru64 or Linux/Alpha yet.)

> So for loop counters and like, "int" should be used.

That's correct.

--
Greg Wooledge                    | "Truth belongs to everybody."
[EMAIL PROTECTED]             |   Red Hot Chili Peppers

PGP signature