Just read Mr. Maier's email. I would also like to know
when stereo recordings started being used. Is there an
online source that gives a summary of recording technology history?

I would like to encode a set of Billie Holiday CDs that cover 1933 thru 1938. I would
like advice on the "best" options for LAME.

When I checked the WAVs with CoolEdit Pro they show up as stereo. But the difference
between L&R "appears" very small. I did not think stereo started until much later.

Also:
Using the spectral view there "appears" to be very little signal above 16kHZ. None at
all on many tracks.
What is the group's opinion of the filters in LAME?
Should I use a setting that would prevent bits from being used by sfb21? If so would
that be --lowpass 16?
Or something lower so that roll off is complete by 16kHZ?

Space is not super critical. The mp3s will be put on CDR. Based on what I have heard
on this list I would like to stick with CBR.

What about -h -b 192 -m j --lowpass 16 ?

Please note: I do have perfectionist tendencies. :)

Sorry for the long email.
TIA

Hudson