Youri> Would it be possible to use some other switch, like --cwlimit, to achieve
Youri> good quality with --nspsytune on all tonalities? If so, what settings would
Youri> have to be used for it? (i.e. how should I interpret --cwlimit?)

  It is a matter of balance and tradeoffs.
  --nspsytune allocates more bits to sounds with high tonality,
sacrificing sound quality with low tonality. I tuned parameters so that
--nspsytune -V4 produces mp3 files with almost same bitrate in avarage
using wav files on the LAME webpage.
  So, if you want to improve sound quality with low tonality, simply
raise bitrate.

  I think --nspsytune gives better balance of bit allocation with
tonality. This can be tested by comparing sound quality with following
settings:

  1. Use lame compiled with Robert's options turned on.
     Command line options are:
       -h (or -q1) -b 96 --resample 44.1 --lowpass 16 -Y -Z -X1

  2. Use lame compiled with default options.
     Command line options are:
       -h (or -q1) -b 96 --resample 44.1 --lowpass 16 --nspsytune

  With these extreme settings, I can hear more artifacts with 1 than 2.

--
Naoki Shibata   e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]