> - Lame does not support outputting to a wav file with mp3
> compression (a mp3 with wav header). Since these files
> are needed for programs like virtualdub (for combining
> video and audio), this feature would make lame even more
> complete.

Don't use LAME - use CDEx with its LAME plugin:

http://www.cdex.n3.net/

I think the downloadable version comes with a slightly older version of
lame. For the newest version of the LAME plugin, try:

http://www.chat.ru/~dkutsanov/

> - 'Preciseness' of lame: when I encode a wav file with a
> length of 97 minutes and 4 seconds, the resulting mp3 is
> only 97 minutes and 3 seconds. This impreciseness is much
> smaller than the fraunhofer codec's as found in
> AudioActive Production Studio 2.04 (about 5 seconds
> shorter), but nevertheless unwanted. For perfect video
> and audio combining, the tracks should be exactly the
> same length.

I've found LAME to be perfectly precise - i've made AVIs with LAMEd
soundtracks well over 3 hours in length in which the sountrack has
maintained perfect sync with the video. Perhaps the programmes you're using
to find the length of the individual files are incorrect. The only way i'd
test for incorrectness would be to test with an AVI file - if the video and
audio still sync after three hours, then it doesn't matter what some
programme tells me - I know that it works.

David