If you want to do everyone a favor, including the impoverished, lower-class, maybe mobilizing to pass a city ordinance that caps the number of rental properties by neighborhood?

If it is truly society's goal (in the U.S.), to afford equal oppotunity, WHY NOT force every neighborhood to accept at least some of the down-trodden?

North MPLS is infamous in its reputation as a place full of crime, and it is so primarily not because of the homeowners, or the police, but because the housing stock values allowed numerous, speculative absentee landlords to come-in, buy-up property and rent-it out to anyone that could qualify for government aid.  You can debate the "finer points" all you want, but in essence, this is what has happened.

By lumping impoverished minorities together into small areas like the west bank and the northside, we, as a society, regardless of all our other "well-intended" actions are continuing the cycle.

So go ahead and harp about the police, the lack of responsivness from City Hall, or anything else you want to.  Until everyone decides that "keeping" impoverished people contained isn't in their long-term, best interests, nothing will change.

Personally, I have nothing but contempt for individuals that live in nice, middle-class neighborhoods that are working as "crusaders" against issues such as police brutality.  Drive by my house 24/7 and see what I have to contend with, then drive into one of the more affluent neighborhoods, such as Bryn Mawr, or Kenwood and see what they have to contend with.  As I write this, at the end of my block, there are 5-6 individuals (standing on the corner) selling drugs, and another 6-8 indivduals on the front porch of an abandoned house gambling.  I make roughly 12-15 calls/week to 911 on this activity.  It still occurs 24/7.  Who's being brutalized?

Dennis Plante

Jordan

Dennis Plante

Jordan