An Open letter to Bob Fine.
 I listened to a tape recording of the Dec. 17th. Meeting of the Park Board
Commissioners. I would like permission to post your answer to this email to the
Minneapolis Issues list.
You are President of the Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board and run the Board
meetings.
I have said publicly that the hiring for Superintendent was done in a mean and
disrespectful way.

I would like to give you a chance to explain why this selection happened in this way.
Correct me if I am wrong.
This hiring was orchestrated, planned, and negotiated, without the board authorizing
you to do so at any prior meeting. You then met secretly with someone who did not
apply and negotiated terms of a contract. You also met secretly with enough board
members to get 5 votes.
But what happened next defies reason, logic, and due consideration of the welfare of
the Park system.
Why on earth would you not want to share this idea and at least introduce your wonder
candidate to your fellow commissioners?
To hire someone that some commissioners had never met, had no prior knowledge, had no
resume or references available...
Historically has any Park Board President played such a lage part in limiting decency
and fairness in such an important decision.
You couldn't have made a phone call, sent an email? Had commissioners meet the person?
 Allowed all commissioners to read a resume before the motion was passed?
You orchestrated this. This also wasn't a motion for an interim Superintendent. You
need to  be accountable for your actions and not just tell us what a great guy Jon
Gurden is.

Thanks,
Scott Vreeland  Seward