Downtown neighborhoods like Loring Park have the same parking problems
that you describe for Southeast.  If the city were to designate the
neighborhoods around the LRT stations as permit/critical parking zones it
would help the residents but poke the commuters in the eye with a pool
cue.

I have lived in this neighborhood for about 4 years, and conclude that the
city of Minneapolis doesn't care much about resident parking or parking in
population dense areas.  About 10 parking spaces were removed for 2 bus
stops where the bus only runs infrequently.  The permit only is enforced
(i use parking enforcement in a very loose way) between 9 am to 4 pm,
while permit parking in tony Kenwood lasts till 8 pm.  The extra hours
would make a big difference, but I don't think that people from the city
care much about the neighborhood residents who have to fight for scarce
parking.  Instead of thinking strategically about critical parking
problems and periodically evaluating the situation by asking the
residents, once the policies are implemented they are then forgotten.
Since the city of Minneapolis is in the parking business, I guess the
staff only sees parking issues with the bias of business owner.

Then there is the cultural issue of parking behavior.  Most people park as
if they were parking on a farm.  No regard of the population density and
the demand for parking space of a crowded city neighborhood.

I'm afraid that the lack of regard for parking in the planning for the LRT
station sites will now pit the neighborhood residents against the
commuters.  Whatever "solution" that is arrived at will be inadequate to
both groups.  The residents will see the commuter's demands as
illegitimate and the commuters will resent the "selfish" residents who
will be seen as territorial and parochial.

But Minneapolis is such a world-class city with all the amenities except a
few like an adequate parking policy.

What a no-win situation.

David Wilson
Loring Park