I will ditto what WizardMarks implies. Children absorb language, math and reading (i.e. the basic alphabet) skills in the blink of an eye just by singing songs. Music, movement and visual ques are perfect for facilitating learning the 3Rs in ways that are very accessible to children. When it comes to illiteracy and the bigger issues of children not learning, I think we have to honestly look beyond the schools at what is not working in these children's lives. If we expect classroom teachers to work mericles, with or without the arts, when these students don't have enough food to eat, are in abusive situations, and/or have a lack of parental/family/guardian support. We would be pretty nieve to think the schools can solve such dire problems. We are most likely going to loose these children with or without the arts. The only small hope is that the opportunity for the arts to spark something in any these children is a reality that happens all the time.
Liz Greenbaum
Longfellow

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Anderson & Turpin wrote:

The point I've been trying to make is that the three R's should come first,
before the arts, before science, before history and civics. ...

WM: This is my point of disagreement. The 3 Rs, yes, and the arts. Kindergartners and pre-kindergartners don't get much science, history, or civics. The arts are great ways of addressing arithmetic (so are the odds at the race track, the way I learned), they also address hand-eye coordination, and better still, hand-eye-mind coordination. Listen to a four year old sing; it takes a while to hear and have the voice repeat a sound, it takes even longer to repeat a series of sounds.

The most important part of this discussion is that, even in broke times, we cheat ourselves, the world, and the species when we cheat the children.
WizardMarks, Central

1. Think a member has violated the rules? Email the list manager at [EMAIL PROTECTED] before continuing it on the list. 2. Don't feed the troll! Ignore obvious flame-bait.