Adding a feature request is probably a good idea, since I'm likely to
resolve the bug by making -fPIC generate an error.

I understand the use cases, but personally will not get to this any time
soon.  Uniarch (eliminating the need to create new releases of every
component in the toolchain just because there's a new chip like the
MSP430G2231) and far data/code support are much higher priority.

Peter