----- Ursprüngliche Nachricht -----
Von: Peter Bigot
Gesendet am: 16 Nov 2010 18:35:28

> 1) I propose to change the list management so that email to it from people
> who are not subscribed is immediately bounced (saying that the list requires
> subscription for posting), rather than put into a pending bucket where Chris
> or I have to look at it.  If it's worth our time to read, it's worth the
> sender's time to subscribe so they can see responses.

> 2) Anybody who subscribes from an address that implements a screening filter
> like Boxbe so that mail to the list results in a request to add yourself to
> the recipient's "Guest List" will be summarily unsubscribed.  Maybe I'll
> send an email saying why.  I won't bother to add myself to your guest list
> to tell you that it's happened.  Manage your spam without inconveniencing
> me, thank you very much.

> Comments on either of these?

Some. While most in the list agreed to these proposals (and I can see the
benefits), it has some drawbacks too:

1) Personally, I us a different mail account for this list than for normal
mail. it keeps the list mail in its own channel.
Since the mail is supposed to appear in the list and therefor is received
again, I usually don't save a local copy.
Using a webmailer or accessing the account from an internet cafe forbids
storage of sent mails too.
But sometiem sit happens that I accidentally send the mail from the wrong
account.
If it gets bounced in the (nowadays) usual way, that means without an unquoted
copy of the original mail text,
the mail is lost.
So if it is bounced, please bounce it with the original, unaltered and not
packaged (as attachment or whatever) content, so one can re-send it from the
right account
without too much hassle.

Also, one thing I rellay dislike these days is the neccessity to register ones
mail address everywhere.
Here, I'm registered user, but on my journey through the net I often find
questions about this and that
(including MSP) and I'd really like to answer, but then I had to register to
this forum, so I just wander away.

Forcing people to register to the mailing list will repel all people who want
to use mspgcc and have a question,
but don't want to marry the list.

2) While I completely undestand why you want this, it also exposes a problem.
Those systems are there not for fun or
to make your life more difficult, but (usually) in a deliberate attempt to
fight spam. (even if some abuse the mechanism
for their own marketing). Their number is increasing.
Generally forbidding those behind such a system access to the mailing list is
like asking people to turn off their virus scanner
before accessing your web site or something similar.
Also, what about people who have a mail responder (because of temporary
absence) on their mail address? It will spam the list
(already happened several time). Will you also automatically unsubscribe them?
Isn't a filter on the mailing list side the better solution?

Yes, things are getting more and more complicated, and maintaining a list
sometimes is hard work. A work I really appreciate.
But a list that forbids almost everything is pretty much useless.