Hello Daniel,

It is an evaluation board that is powered by a small Lithium polymer
battery with a 3V regulator. I have checked that pin number 4 of the
14-pin JTAG connector is at 3V with the FET cable connected to the
board but I still get the same error. Any ideas where I should look
next please? Thanks.

mspdebug tilib -d ttyACM0

MSPDebug version 0.22 - debugging tool for MSP430 MCUs
Copyright (C) 2009-2013 Daniel Beer <dlb...@gmail.com>

MSP430_Initialize: ttyACM0
Firmware version is 30400020
MSP430_VCC: 3000 mV
tilib: MSP430_VCC: Could not set device Vcc (error = 10)
tilib: device initialization failed