> I was surprised to see DJ's comment that there actually was no
> standard system interface; the "standard interface" I was referring to
> is the one documented at http://neptune.billgatliff.com/newlib.html

"The key to a successfully ported newlib is providing stubs that
 bridge the gap between the functionality newlib needs, and what your
 target system can provide."

This bridge is what I was referring to.  Newlib calls read() but does
not provide an implementation of it.  Libgloss provides various
target-specific implementations of read(), the one I wrote for msp430
uses CIO to communicate with the simulator/debugger.

> I was expecting for MSP430 to also simply implement the functions
> stubbed in newlib's libnosys, but at first glance it looks like the
> CIO one uses different names, and maybe doesn't support all the same
> functions.

Hmmm... it should be all the same names.  I only changed the existing
libgloss hooks.  But, I don't always do all the hooks, usually only
write() and exit() are needed for our testing.