On 2014-04-22, DJ Delorie <d...@redhat.com> wrote:

>> I was surprised to see DJ's comment that there actually was no
>> standard system interface; the "standard interface" I was referring to
>> is the one documented at http://neptune.billgatliff.com/newlib.html
>
> "The key to a successfully ported newlib is providing stubs that
>  bridge the gap between the functionality newlib needs, and what your
>  target system can provide."
>
> This bridge is what I was referring to.  Newlib calls read() but does
> not provide an implementation of it.  Libgloss provides various
> target-specific implementations of read(), the one I wrote for msp430
> uses CIO to communicate with the simulator/debugger.

Why is newlib calling read(), and from what is it expecting to read?

>> I was expecting for MSP430 to also simply implement the functions
>> stubbed in newlib's libnosys, but at first glance it looks like the
>> CIO one uses different names, and maybe doesn't support all the same
>> functions.
>
> Hmmm... it should be all the same names.  I only changed the existing
> libgloss hooks.  But, I don't always do all the hooks, usually only
> write() and exit() are needed for our testing.

Again, why should newlib be calling write() and what is it expecting
to write _to_?

What does it expect exit() to do?

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Did you move a lot of
                                  at               KOREAN STEAK KNIVES this