Once upon a time I would create collections of machines with a specific app
installed on it and then advertise an uninstall program to it and make it
user optional. That way they could select to uninstall it and SCCM would
actually do the uninstall.

Now I put the uninstall in an app and make it available on the self service
portal. Anything they can install will also have an uninstall. If SCCM did
not install it they won't have the option to uninstall it, so they have to
select install, let the detection method see it is installed, and then they
will have the option to uninstall.