Hello,

i think you use very new versions of the autotools.
The errors I think come from a change in some syntax to the autotools.

The first error I got also some time ago. I changed the propriate lines in
the code of the m4 macros. The change must be like this example:

AC_SUBST(am__leading_dot)  to    AC_SUBST([am__leading_dot])

So there are the "[]" missing.

Of course, that could be pretty much, if you get the error from a lot of m4
macros, but I donīt know what to do instead.

Now to the second error. The syntax of AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE used in the
configure.in file (now for example is called configure.ac, but both can be
used) is also deprecated.

Here is a description from the site http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/

The second, deprecated, form of AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE has two required arguments:
the package and the version number. This form is obsolete because the
package and version can be obtained from Autoconf's AC_INIT macro (which
itself has an old and a new form).

If your configure.in has:

          AC_INIT(src/foo.c)
          AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(mumble, 1.5)

you can modernize it as follows:

          AC_INIT(mumble, 1.5)
          AC_CONFIG_SRCDIR(src/foo.c)
          AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE

Note that if you're upgrading your configure.in from an earlier version of
Automake, it is not always correct to simply move the package and version
arguments from AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE directly to AC_INIT, as in the example
above. The first argument to AC_INIT should be the name of your package
(e.g. GNU Automake), not the tarball name (e.g. automake) that you used to
pass to AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE. Autoconf tries to derive a tarball name from the
package name, which should work for most but not all package names. (If it
doesn't work for yours, you can use the four-argument form of AC_INIT --
supported in Autoconf versions greater than 2.52g -- to provide the tarball
name explicitly).

By default this macro AC_DEFINE's PACKAGE and VERSION. This can be avoided
by passing the no-define option, as in:

          AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE([gnits 1.5 no-define dist-bzip2])

Hopefully this will help!

Regards,

Stefan Huber!