Dear multisync team,
the kdepim_plugin seems to be working pretty well except for
a few little funnies when tested against the evolution plugin.

Firstly, both KDE Addressbook and Evolution use their own proprietry
VCARD entries for the more unusual data fields, as in:
 X-KADDRESSBOOK-X-Anniversary
 X-KADDRESSBOOK-X-AssistantsName
 X-KADDRESSBOOK-X-Department
 X-KADDRESSBOOK-X-IMAddress
 X-KADDRESSBOOK-X-ManagersName
 X-KADDRESSBOOK-X-Office
 X-KADDRESSBOOK-X-Profession
 X-KADDRESSBOOK-X-SpousesName
 X-EVOLUTION-OFFICE
 X-EVOLUTION-MANAGER
 X-EVOLUTION-ASSISTANT
 X-EVOLUTION-SPOUSE
Data in these non-standard fields are ignored by the respective plugins and
thus are not synchronised.

I have'nt done anything to try and fix this in the kdepim_plugin because that
requires putting Evolution-specific code into my plugin and I didnt think that
is very wise.
I think it would be wiser if the multisync team developed its own list of
multisync-specific proprietry fields that acted as intermediates for
mapping the various proprietry codes used by each plugin.
For example, kdeplugin could map X-KADDRESSBOOK-X-AssistantsName
to an agreed multisync-proprietry code, such as X-MULTISYNC-ASSISTANT,
and evolution plugin could do the same with X-EVOLUTION-ASSISTANT.
That way both plugins can happily exchange plugin specific fields without
knowing details of the other.
I imagine the multisync team adding to this list of proprietry codes as
required, but I suggest the following intermediates as a start
 X-MULTISYNC-OFFICE
 X-MULTISYNC-MANAGER
 X-MULTISYNC-ASSISTANT
 X-MULTISYNC-SPOUSE
        X-MULTISYNC-PROFESSION
 X-MULTISYNC-ANNIVERSARY
 X-MULTISYNC-DEPARTMENT
Any comments from the dev team???

Secondly, kdepim_plugin sends multiline data out with the newline encoded as
"\n" (two chars) because thats what KDE Addressbook gives me.
However the evolution plugin doesnt decode the newlines at all so they are
visible in the data. I guess this is my fault for sending the wrong thing.
How exactly is outgoing multi-line data supposed to be encoded anyway?
Anyone got any code I can cut and paste. I am running short of time these days
so any hints would be appreciated.

Apart for the newline bug, the kdepim_plugin is nearly ready for
releasing into the wild.
Linux x86 users may wish to try the rpm attached, otherwise source code
is availabe under CVS (tag = branch_08X)
--
Stewart Heitmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>