On Tue, 2004-12-14 at 18:20 +0800, Gideon N. Guillen wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 12:02:00 +0200, Mika Raento
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Yes, so we should store the result of the Put we get, and not request
> > the devinf via a Get? The 7650 always sends a Put with the devinf when
> > connecting to the server for the first time.
> >
> > It would seem quite essential to have the correct devinf when sending
> > data to the client, as it's the only way to know what data formats and
> > versions the client supports.
>
> Like I said, this is only good if multisync actually keeps track of
> the capability of each device (depending on their device id) and
> adjusts the data sent by the server according to the capability of the
> server. I don't think we have that now.

Ah, so we've been talking about the same thing from two directions :-)

What we have at the moment is the ability to tailor the data sent (to
some extent, e.g. iCalendar version) depending on the devinf from the
client device.

But this only works if the client has sent the devinf in the current
session. What we don't have is the ability to store the devinf for
future reference, what I was advocating was adding this capability.
I guess the thing to do would be:
        - have a database under .multisync/<pair> that holds
        DevID - devinf pairs
        - when we get a Put for a devinf, put that in the database
        - when getting a new connection, get the corresponding
        devinf from the database and call syncml_parse_devinf()

The database could be as simple as saving the devinf as a file, where
the filename is generated from the DevID (e.g. by Base64 encoding).

        Mika

--
Mika Raento           mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]       http://www.iki.fi/mikie/
"You can't *ADD* things and come out with *LESS* than you started with!"